On Sunday, April 23rd, the Jewish Federation of Greater Santa Barbara convened a panel discussion with local and national security experts to discuss current and potential threats to the community as well as resources and guidance for threats or events.
The panel members stressed the importance of strong partnerships to reduce risk. For the Santa Barbara community, these include local law enforcement, the Department of Homeland Security, ADL, the Secure Community Network, Jewish Council for Public Affairs, the Israel Action Network, among others.
Although Santa Barbara is a relatively quiet community, it is important to be aware of one’s surroundings and to report any suspicious activity. But considering the resources and experts at the Jewish Federation’s disposal, it looks like we are all in very good hands!
Many thanks to our expert panel:
- Anti-Defamation League – Cyndi Silverman, Tri-County Regional Director
- Santa Barbara Police Department – Lt. Dan McGrew, Bomb Squad Specialist
- Los Angeles District Protective Security Advisor, US Dept. of Homeland Security – Scott Mitchem, CPP, PSP
- Jewish Council for Public Affairs – Melanie Gorelick, Senior Vice President
- Israel Action Network – Stephanie Hausner, Director of Community Strategy
- Secure Community Network – Doron Horowitz, Senior National Security Advisor